At Findon Primary School, students are taught Indonesian from Foundation to Year 4. This will be extended to all students by 2022.
Learning languages broadens students’ horizons about the personal, social, cultural and employment opportunities that are available in an increasingly interconnected and interdependent world.
- contributes to the strengthening of the community’s developmental capabilities
- enhances knowledge in learning literacy and numeracy and the capacity to communicate
- develops understanding of how culture shapes and extends learners’ understanding of their own heritage, values, beliefs, culture and identity
- reinforces intellectual, analytical and reflective capabilities, and enhances creative and critical thinking.
The Victorian Languages curriculum aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to ensure that students:
- communicate in the language they are learning
- understand the relationship between language, culture and learning
- develop intercultural capabilities
- understand themselves as communicators.
The curriculum covers the first two stages of learning; Birth to Level 2, where strong foundations for learning Indonesian are developed and; Level 3 to Level 8, where breadth and depth is developed during the teaching and learning of Indonesian.
The content descriptions of the Languages curriculum F–6 are organised through two interrelated strands. The two strands are Communicating and Understanding. Each strand contains several sub-strands.
|Sub-strands||Using language for communicative purposes in interpreting, creating and exchanging meaning.||Analysing and understanding language and culture as resources for interpreting and shaping meaning in intercultural exchange.|
|Socialising||Systems of language|
|Informing||Language variation and change|
|Creating||The role of language and culture|
More information on each strand and the Indonesian curriculum can be found here: https://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/languages/indonesian/introduction/structure
The curriculum also explores links between Indonesian and other disciplines.
The following links can provide families with additional information on how to support students at home further: